2021-22 Archery Team Information
- 11/5/2021 Congratulations to the new members of the Archery team. See the 2022 Roster for a complete listing.
- All team members received a packet at the end of the day today, Tuesday, November 9th. Please be sure to ask your student for the forms. The front page is an informational sheet and should be kept by parents/guardians. The rest of the pages need to be read, filled out, signed, and returned to me NLT Friday, December 10th. The last two pages are the physical; if you have already turned one into me, then write "already turned in" on the first page. Otherwise, I need the physical completed by a parent/guardian and a doctor and also returned NLT December 10th. Payment is due no later December 17th, but can be paid in 1 or 2 installments.
- The Oak Grove (UE/MS/HS) Archery program is part of AIMS (Archery in MS Schools) & NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program), run by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, not MHSAA. Therefore, students may begin to participate as early as 4th grade. OGUE includes Archery as part of their PE rotation, but it does not have a competition team. Therefore, interested 4th & 5th students who have been through the training may "shoot up" and join the Middle School program, with the OGUE Coach's recommendation, and if space permits.
- The Mathews Genesis competition bow is used in 4th-12th grades. The school has about 15 bows for student use (2 of which are left handed bows) and all students use school arrows in practices and competitions.
- We use only Easton 1820 30-inch Aluminum arrows. Students who have their own bows and arrows do not bring their arrows to school or use them at any practices or competitions. Use personal arrows to practice at home.
- It is not required for students to buy their own bows, but they are encouraged to purchase one, if possible, so that they can be adjusted to the settings best suited to them and to be able to practice at home. They routinely score better when using their own bow at meets, too. These bows can be easily resold in the future if a student loses interest in archery, as new members often look to purchase second-hand bows.
- Please purchase solid colored bows; if a camouflaged or patterned bow is purchased, students will be required to wrap tape around the bow to make sure they aren't gaining a shooting advantage by using a specific marking on the bow when they are sighting to shoot.
- NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) Archery equipment can be purchased locally or online; research for the best prices and packages. Places such as Academy Sports, Wal-Mart, and Waldos Sports Center in Columbia carry the equipment.
- Practices will be held on our campus after school in the gym in accordance with all COVID-19 guidelines. We also work closely with the OGHS team and coach and may occasionally practice with them at the Temple Baptist Church gym. Thursdays and Fridays will be the main days we practice with a few exceptions based upon conflicts for gym use, school holidays, etc.. Practices run from 3:30-5:50 PM. We MAY have a few Saturday morning practices if there is a need or to prepare for major competitions.
If you have any additional questions regarding OGMS Archery, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org --Coach Tamela Miller